The Spring Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of Public Information/Marketing Officer. Spring Fire Department is a combination fire department that provides fire, rescue and EMS first responder services to over 150,000 residents in a rapidly growing area of unincorporated northern Harris County. Accepting resumes through Friday February 23rd, 2018 at 4pm. Apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- $75,000 annually
- Bachelor’s degree - Master’s preferred, in public relations, journalism, marketing, mass communications or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in professional level work.
- Fire Service experience is preferred.
- Desktop Publishing experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with MS Office Suite.
- High level of competency with DSLR equipment.
- Supervisory experience.
- Valid Texas Driver’s license.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job, may be substituted for evaluation at the discretion of human resources.
- Fully paid premiums for employee Health, Dental and Vision insurance.
- Partial payment of premiums for family Health, Dental and Vision Insurance.
- Paid holidays, vacation, sick, and personal time off.
- Retirement with 2:1 match up to 7% employee contribution, 14% department.
- 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. Monday – Friday is considered normal business hours.
- Occasional non-traditional business hours for emergency incidents, special events, meetings, public relations, or crisis situations.
SPRING FIRE DEPARTMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Spring Fire Department is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PUBLIC INFORMATION / MARKETING OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned, and expected commensurate with the administrative needs of the fire department.
The principal function of an employee in this position is to provide Spring Fire Department with communications and internal and external marketing support. This position also oversees branding and messaging; oversees protection of the organization’s cultural identity, and provides counsel to the Fire Chief and all other department officers and members; manages fire department relationships with the media, and ensures quality and accurate dissemination of information. In addition, this position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department’s communications initiatives.
Essential Duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job description involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Acts as Spring Fire Department’s official spokesperson with the media.
- Proactive media and community relations, through the writing, reviewing and editing of news releases, newsletters, emails, articles, postings, publications and scripts.
- Facilitates news conferences and prepare all necessary materials as needed.
- Develops, implements, and maintains an effective public information program and coordinate public relations activities for the department.
- Assists and counsels’ department leadership concerning public relations aspects of policies, practices, procedures, programs, and actions.
- Proactively promotes department accomplishments and activities.
- Develops and executes communication plans for various campaigns, both internally and externally.
- Researches attitudes, opinions, and perceptions of selected internal and external groups and reports that information to fire department leadership by collecting and managing constituent concerns via surveys, web applications and focus groups.
- Facilitates broadcast and telephone interviews with the media as well as responses to email inquiries.
- Manages fire department’s use of third-party communication websites and social media sites.
- Policy and procedure creation including, but not limited to, communications, sponsorship and crisis communications policy.
- Builds and fosters long-term working relationships with various public entities including media, citizens, school district and charter schools, community organizations, other municipal, County, regional, and state public information offices, and other associations the department deems important to the success of its mission.
- Development and maintenance of a strategic communications plan to support the department’s mission and goals.
- Creation of communication strategies for various events that the department participates in or sponsors.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Oversee coordination of special events and special media events including news briefings, press tours, and formal events including serving as emcee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prepare and review brochures, pamphlets, fliers and other marketing pieces for various campaigns; work includes writing, editing, coordinating development of copy and data, proofreading, coordinating images, and printing proof approvals.
- Research, write, and participate in the development of and approval of content for various multimedia productions (e.g. PSA, video projects, slide shows, internet, website, etc.).
- Familiarity with the latest trends, technologies and methodologies in graphic design, web design, social media, etc.
- Ability to interact, communicate and present ideas.
- Professionalism regarding time, costs and deadlines.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively in a team environment.
- Plans, executes and evaluates the department marketing plan on an annual basis.
RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION
- Develop, execute, adjust and maintain recruiting plans.
- Network through industry contacts, association memberships, trade groups, social media, and employees.
- Develop and track measurable facets of the recruiting and hiring process so that the processes are transparent and measurable.
- Set continuous improvement goals.
- Coordinate and implement new recruiting initiatives.
- Conduct regular follow-up meetings with department leadership to determine the effectiveness of recruiting plans and implementation.
- Research and recommend new sources for active and passive candidate recruiting.
- Build networks to find qualified passive candidates.
- Post openings in online venues, newspaper classifieds, with professional organizations, and in other position appropriate venues.
- Improve the company website recruiting section to assist in streamlined processes.
- Use social and professional networking sites to identify and source candidates.
- Retaining key talent by planning or assisting with development activities such as surveys, outings, socials, team building events, and educational development.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Current principles, techniques and objectives of public information, communication and public relations programs.
- Media tactics, including interview techniques and preparation.
- Professional applications of research and writing skills.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Resource Management.
- Managing Change.
- Interpersonal Skills.
- Operation of standard office equipment and a personal computer and software applications for work processing, graphic presentations, spreadsheets, databases, information retrieval and research, and other job-related software.
- Constructive communication; collaboration on ideas to determine best options
- Mastery of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Maintain quality results of your own work and the work of others through proofreading, cross checking data and accurate communication.
- Develop creative ideas in relation to public information projects.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Work independently and accurately with minimal supervision on a continual basis.
- Develop and apply programs, policies and functions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other department employees and members, media representatives, the public, and other interested and affected parties.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort including but not limited to, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling, etc. of objects and materials of light weight (generally 25 pounds or less). Tasks may involve extended periods of time in seated position and at a keyboard or workstation.
Project Management: Tasks require the ability to schedule, coordinate, and manage various projects of varying degrees of difficulty, size and complexity.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials: Tasks require the ability to operate, maneuver, and/ or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials, commensurate with duties of the position.
Social and Interpersonal Communication Skills: Position requires professional social and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to function in a major organizational unit requiring significant internal and external interaction.
Reasoning: Position requires functional reasoning skills enabling the analysis of major problems that necessitate complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units. Position requires situational reasoning skills allowing for the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and innovation in situations involving broader aspects of the department.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position. This job description and title is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change.
- PIO Employment Announcement.pdf